About Dr Larwood
Dr Kelvin Larwood is a long-term Sunshine Coast resident. After completing primary and secondary school on the Coast Dr Larwood studied nursing in Brisbane, Medicine at The University of Sydney and completed his specialty training in hospitals throughout South-East Queensland. Born in the Solomon Islands to missionary parents who were both nurses Kelvin first moved to the Sunshine Coast when he was nine years old.
Dr Larwood’s academic qualifications include:
- Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRANZCOG)
- Bachelor of Medicine & Bachelor of Surgery (University of Sydney)
- Masters of Nursing (Critical Care Major) (Queensland University of Technology)
- Bachelor of Nursing with Distinction (Queensland University of Technology)
Kelvin’s nursing experience included six years in Intensive Care at Nambour Hospital and four years at Royal North Shore and North Shore Private Hospitals (Sydney) while studying medicine. This has provided valuable experience caring for a wide variety of very sick patients as well as supporting their family and friends through difficult and challenging times.
Having decided during medical school that Obstetrics and Gynaecology was the area of medicine he wanted to specialize in, Kelvin entered the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (RANZCOG) six year training program, completing this in February 2013. This training included rotations through Nambour Hospital, Redcliffe Hospital and The Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital.
For the last two years of specialist training Kelvin worked at Nambour Hospital as a Senior Registrar. This provided excellent training and experience in general and high risk obstetrics, general gynaecology, advanced laparoscopic, pelvic and vaginal surgery.
On completing specialist training Dr Larwood continues to be actively involved in ongoing professional development and is committed to contributing to women’s health in a number of ways:
- At a college level as a member on the College’s Queensland Regional Committee
- Actively involved in specialist obstetrics and gynaecolocy training with RANZCOG
- Teaching laparoscopic and surgical skills
- Teaching medical students on their rotation through Obstetrics and Gynaecology
Kelvin has a part time public appointment which enables him to contribute further to women’s health on the Sunshine Coast, support the training of specialist doctors and ensures his knowledge, experience and skills are continually maintained at a high level.
Dr Larwood’s private practice is based at the Sunshine Coast Private Hospital, Buderim where he does consulting, births and surgery. Dr Larwood also does private consulting in Noosa to enable convenient access for patients living at the northern end of the Sunshine Coast.
Outside of work Kelvin is a father of three children and enjoys travelling with his family and cycling.